Saturday, August 13, 2011

Noy accepts tourism chief's resignation



MANILA, Philippines - Tourism Secretary Alberto Lim announced yesterday that President Aquino has accepted his resignation that takes effect on Aug. 31.

But Lim denied rumors that he was one of three Cabinet members who had been giving Aquino a headache.

Lim told a press briefing at MalacaƱang before the scheduled Cabinet meeting that the reason for his resignation is “personal” because the demanding job of a tourism secretary had taken its toll on him and his family.

The head of the Department of Tourism (DOT) supervises its attached agencies which entails a lot of local and foreign trips.

Lim denied that he has given the President problems with his reported below par performance.

“I think you should ask the President that (if I’m his headache), but I don’t think so. We have very normal relations. What is important is my relation with him.”

“I’m not accustomed to the ways of government. I’m from the private sector. For the past 56 weeks (one year), I’ve been traveling almost every weekend.”

“The point is, it (government service) took its toll (on me). The family should also have some time. I’d like to spend more time with my family,” Lim admitted, acknowledging at the same time that “I cannot deny that it (rumors that he’s inefficient) has an effect on me.”

A reliable source said Lim was forced to resign because the President was apparently frustrated with the way he has been handling the department for more than a year now, particularly because he doesn’t seem to know what to do.

Aquino is still looking for Lim’s replacement.

“I will stay on until a replacement is found,” Lim said. “No regrets at all. I believe in his (Aquino’s) mission. I will still support him.”

Prior to their Aug. 8 meeting, which Aquino had sought, the last time Lim came over to MalacaƱang was on July 29, when he submitted the “detailed tourism roadmap.”

Continue reading at The Philippine Star