Thursday, July 26, 2012

New Modeling Scam Uses Magazines, Facebook


Facebook user Patty Pascual almost became a victim of a carefully planned out scam, which involved dragging the names of a friend, a models’ association and a well-known local magazine.


In a Facebook post that has gone viral, Pascual shared that scammers used her model friend’s account to contact her about two ” projects” — one with the Professional Models Association of the Philippines (PMAP) and a shoot for Candy Magazine.

She was asked to bring clothes and gadgets for a ”must-haves” feature, and meet with a certain ”Melissa Arevalo” of Candy Magazine at a fast food chain in Quezon City before heading to a studio for the shoot scheduled last July 24.

”I woke up early for the shoot. I wasn’t feeling well so I tried to ask Ms. Melissa from Candy Magazine if I can just go straight to the studio. She told me NO, kasi baka hindi daw ako pansinin sa studio if I’m by myself and she said I have to fit some clothes and she wanted to have breakfast with me. So at that point, dun na ako talaga nagduda… like ARE YOU SERIOUS I’M GONNA TRY OUT SOME CLOTHES IN MCDO? AND YOU’RE FROM CANDY MAGAZINE?! LABO TALAGA.

”Dun na ako nag-start talaga mag-contact sa Candy Magazine, Summit Media and PMAP to confirm that shoot. PERO SOBRANG WALANG NAG-HELP SAKIN. WALANG SUMASAGOT FROM CANDY. I called someone from PMAP and she can’t confirm that shoot ’cause ’yung head daw nila is not answering his/her phone,” she wrote.

With doubt starting to kick in, Pascual asked the help of her friends and the police to verify if her planned modeling projects are legitimate or not.

Continue reading at ABS-CBN News