Powered by Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget
 

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

NBI: Hubert Webb in PHL during Vizconde massacre







The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Tuesday presented testimonies from at least five new witnesses who will prove that acquitted murder suspect Hubert Webb was in the Philippines during the massacre of three members of the Vizconde family in June 1991.

"These are real witnesses. We know their addresses and we have talked to them to verify their sworn statements… We do not see any motive on their part to fabricate their statements," Justice chief Leila de Lima said at a press conference at the NBI headquarters in Manila.

De Lima, however, said the new witnesses were not asked to appear in public and were given aliases for "security reasons."
As of posting time, GMA News Online was still trying to get a reaction from the Webb camp.
New witnesses

Among the new witnesses is a drug dealer named "George," who said he had a transaction with Webb around the time when the massacre happened.

Another witness named "Mario" said Webb got a haircut from him sometime in June 1991.

Two others, "Rey" and "Jerry" said they saw Webb playing basketball in BF Homes in ParaƱaque sometime between June and July 1991.

"Jack," a security guard in the subdivision where Webb lived, meanwhile also recalled seeing the acquitted murder suspect at the time of the Vizconde massacre.

The testimonies of the new witnesses seek to challenge Webb’s defense that he was in the United States when the massacre happened — the alibi that got him acquitted last December.

The Supreme Court acquitted last year Hubert Webb and six others who had been earlier convicted by a lower court for the murders of Estrellita, Carmela, and Jennifer Vizconde on June 30, 1991.

The Department of Justice launched a reinvestigation of the Vizconde massacre case after the acquittal, following an order from President Benigno Aquino III. — RSJ, GMA News